May 19-21, 2017 at Fire Mountain BSA Scout Camp, Mt. Vernon, WA
2/10/2017: Our event is FULL and with a WAITING LIST of 3 Troops.
***Adults , please consider coming as a JUDGE, this is a great way for first timers to see what Challenge is all about. Please see the JUDGES NEEDED tab for details******
Cascade Challenge is a primitive tent camping/outdoor skills competition weekend for Cadettes (6th-8th Grade) and Senior/Ambassador (9-12th Grade) Girl Scouts. Register as a troop or form your own Cascade Challenge group with girls from multiple troops or IRMs.
Arrive Friday afternoon after 4 PM to set up camp, relax, and mingle with other troops around the campfire. All challenge rotations will take place on Saturday, where girls will be evaluated on teamwork, leadership skills, and combined knowledge in the skill areas listed below. Saturday night includes the Dinner Challenge followed by a roaring campfire with songs, skits, and good old fun. The awards and recognition ceremony on Sunday brings the weekend to a close by about Noon.
Troops bring all the equipment necessary for primitive troop camping and will be cooking all their own meals. Water, firewood, and outhouses are provided for you. A preparation packet of info will be sent upon registration to guide your training and planning. All Challenges are completed without ‘help’ from leaders during the events.
Cascade Challenges this year are:
All challenges include the respective GSWW Volunteer Essential points.
- Hiking & Map/Compass– With your ten essentials packed, navigate your way thru the woods.
- Team Dynamics– Your positive & cooperative teamwork skills will lead you to success.
- Animal Awareness–Cougars, bears & more-know their tracks & scat, what to do if you see a mighty critter, and how to properly store your food.
- First Aid-Beyond the basic band-aid, show us your trail side skills.
- Campsite Maintenance– Demonstrate how well you establish & keep a ‘good’ campsite.
- Challenge Dinner– Prepare a creative & nutritious dinner with surprise ingredients (revealed to only the Cadette troops upon arrival Friday). All prep & cooking is done without leaders present.
- New for 2017 Senior/Ambassadors on Friday: In addition to Campsite Setup of the basics. You will continue on to have your site ready/complete to be judged for Campsite Maintenance, without your leaders.
- Leader’s Challenge: Paperwork, letting go, & more. This does not affect the Troop’s score.
Join us for Year #35 for Challenge. This opportunity is brought to you by volunteers from around the GSWW Council and is sponsored by SU 245. If your troop doesn’t want to go; then get together with another troop to form a group for this weekend! It only takes 2 scouts and 2 advisors to be a group.
IRMs may sign up, they need to be placed with a troop or form their own group, ahead of time.
Cost of $35* per person includes: Site Fees, Saturday dinner and dessert, event patch, and event awards.*Gluten Free requests will have an additional $1.00 pp cost.
Announcement flyer may be downloaded here:
Registration flyer :
Facebook: GS Cascade Challenge
More Info: Ellen at email: email@example.com
Ellen Govan by email