Cascade Challenge is a primitive tent camping/outdoor skills competition weekend for Cadettes (Gr. 6-8) & Senior/Ambassador (Gr. 9-12) of Girl Scouts of Western Washington Council*
May 18-20, 2018 at Fire Mountain BSA Scout Camp, Mt. Vernon, WA
Arrive Friday afternoon after 4 PM to set up your campsite. Then relax, check out the camp, and mingle with other troops around shared campfires. All challenge rotations will take place on Saturday, where girls will be evaluated on teamwork, leadership skills, and combined knowledge in the skill areas listed below. Saturday night includes the Dinner Challenge followed by a roaring All Camp campfire with songs, skits, and good old fun. The awards & recognition ceremony on Sunday brings the weekend to a close ~ Noon.
Troops bring all the equipment necessary for primitive troop camping and will be cooking all their own meals. The troop campsites are in an open, grassy, tree-less, & a bit lumpy meadow; they are roped off to about the size of a two-car garage. It is basically a plot of grass without tables, shelters, or fire rings! Water, firewood, & outhouses are provided. Troops carry their gear from a staging area to their site, about the length of a football field (100 yards). The Troop Preparation Packet is sent upon registration to guide your training and planning. All Challenges are completed without ‘help’ from leaders during the events.
Challenges for 2018 are: All challenges include the respective GSWW Volunteer Essentials and Safety Activity Checkpoints.
- Hiking & Map/Compass– With your ten essentials packed, navigate your way.
- Team Dynamics– Your positive & cooperative teamwork skills will lead you to success.
- Animal Awareness–Bears, cougars, & mini bears: tracks & scat, and food caching.
- Archery- Archers to the line, safe straight shooting hits the spot!
- Campsite Maintenance– Demonstrate how well you establish & keep a ‘good’ safe campsite.
- Challenge Dinner– Prepare a creative & nutritious dinner with surprise ingredients (revealed to only the Cadette troops upon arrival Friday).All prep & cooking is done without leaders present.
- Senior/Ambassadors on Friday: In addition to Campsite Setup of the basics. You will continue on to have your site ready/complete to be judged for Campsite Maintenance, without your leaders.
- Leader’s Challenge: Paperwork, letting go, & more. This does not affect the Troop’s score.
- Join us for Year #36 for Challenge. This event is sponsored by SU245 and brought to you by a GSWW Committee of volunteers. Register as a troop, form your own group with girls from multiple troops, or as an IRM (to be placed with a troop ahead of time upon availability). Scout group size is 2-12, adults 2. In order to reach a wide range of troops we have a two group limit per troop, each group must have a minimum of 6 scouts.
- Adult Volunteers are needed as Judges for Sat. May 19; come for the day or tent camp for the weekend.
- Cost: $35 per person which includes: Site Fees, Saturday dinner and dessert, event patch, and event awards. *Challenge Dinner Options of Vegetarian and medically necessary Gluten Free are available and are then provided to the entire troop, with an add on cost $1 per person cost for the entire troop for the GF option.
- *After Jan 1, 2018 and upon space availability: registration opens to troops/groups from any Girl Scout council and additional groups from the same troop.
Registration: Opened Nov.1, 2017. CLOSES: When filled or 3/31/18.
Visit us on Facebook: GS Cascade Challenge
More Info: Contact, Ellen “Jasper” Govan, Girl Scout Volunteer & Committee Chair