*REGISTRATION OPENS NOV. 1 2021*
Hello Girl Scouts and Girl Scout Volunteers –
Hello Girl Scouts! We’ve been getting some inquires on what date to set for Cascade Challenge and we have one!
Event Date: May 20th-22nd 2022 at Fire Mountain Scouts BSA Camp, Mt Vernon.
Registration Opens Date: November 1st, 2021
due to the current state of the COVID-19 Pandemic we are still filled with much uncertainty of if this event can take place. We are held up by many factors including state regulations as well as Girl Scout Policy. We will be working diligently over the next few months on event planning and will proceed as close to normal as possible. We will be preparing for the event TO happen. However, if by Girl Scout Policy we are still not able to hold large capacity events we will have to cancel.
Some changes for the 2022 event: We will be reducing our cap to 12 troops so we have enough space to spread out. We will continue to hold a waitlist so that capacity could expand depending on safety guidelines. The maximum troop size will be 8 Girl Scouts and 2 adults. Our mask and vaccination guidelines will be dependent on State Regulations, Girl Scout Policy, and Fire Mountain Policy. We are tremendously grateful and excited to begin planning for this event for you all. We hope it is only good news from here on out. Thank you all for your patience with this announcement.
Arrive Friday afternoon after 3 PM to set up your campsite. Then relax, check out the camp, and mingle with other troops around shared campfires. All challenge rotations will take place on Saturday, where Scouts will be evaluated on teamwork, leadership skills, and combined knowledge in the skill areas listed below. Saturday night includes the Dinner Challenge followed by a roaring All Camp campfire with songs, skits, and good old fun. The awards & recognition ceremony on Sunday brings the weekend to a close ~ Noon.
Troops bring all the equipment necessary for primitive troop camping and will be cooking all their own meals. The troop campsites are in an open, grassy, tree-less, & a bit lumpy meadow; site sizes will begin at 24’x24’ (considerations will be taken given State Mandates and group size). It is basically a plot of grass without tables, shelters, or fire rings! Water and outhouses are provided. Troops carry their gear from a staging area to their site, about the length of a football field (100 yards). The Troop Preparation Packet is sent upon registration to guide your training and planning.
All Challenges are completed without ‘help’ from leaders during the events.
Challenges for 2022 are:
All challenges include the respective GSWW Volunteer Essentials and Safety Activity Checkpoints.
- Fire Building– With your ten essentials packed, show us your campfire skills to accomplish a task.
- Team Dynamics– Your positive & cooperative teamwork skills will lead you to success.
- Plants, Shelters, & Knots– Show us how to survive an unplanned overnight in the woods.
- Archery– Archers to the line, safe straight-shooting hits the spot!
- Campsite Maintenance– Demonstrate how well you establish & keep a ‘good’ safe campsite.
- Challenge Dinner– Prepare a creative & nutritious dinner with surprise ingredients (revealed to only the Cadette troops upon arrival Friday). All prep & cooking is done without leaders present.
- Leader’s Challenge: Paperwork timeliness & accuracy, skillful mentoring, and letting go will help set your troop up for a successful experience.
Join us for Year #40 for Challenge. This event is sponsored by SU245 and brought to you by a GSWW Committee of volunteers. Register as a troop or form your own group with registered Girls Scouts from multiple troops. Scout group size is 2-8, adults 2. In order to include more troops, we have a limit of one group per troop, each split group must have a minimum of 6 scouts.
*After Dec 15, 2021 and dependent on space availability, registration opens to troops/groups from any Girl Scout council and additional groups from the same troop.
Adult Volunteers are needed as Judges for Sat May 21st; come for the day or camp free for the weekend. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Cost: $35 per person which includes: Site Fees, Saturday dinner, event patch, and event awards. *Challenge Dinner Options of vegetarian and medically necessary Gluten Free are available and are then provided to the entire troop, with an additional $1 per person for the entire troop for the GF option.
- Adults: Minimum & maximum are two per troop/group. Minimum # of scouts is two, maximum is 8.
- Limited to no more than one group from the same Troop.
- All participants must be registered Girl Scouts and the adults must meet GSWW troop camp training requirements.
- One registration form is required per troop/group and is only accepted by mail.
- Please Mail the deposit to Karin Cook, Cascade Challenge Registrar:
- Checks payable to GSWW–SU 245 Cascade Challenge.
- Registration will be acknowledged by email from the Challenge Committee Registrar and sent to both advisors named below and will include the Challenge Troop Preparation packet.
- Cancellations received after March 31st, 2022, will forfeit their deposit.
- If the final payment is not postmarked by 3/31/2022 the registration for your troop is cancelled, your spot will be offered to a wait listed troop, and your deposit will not be returned.
- Wait listed troops (that are not placed) will receive their deposits back after event takes place.
- The Leader’s Challenge begins with the thorough, legible, and accurate completion of this registration form. J
Troops requesting vegetarian & medically necessary gluten free food options will receive such for the entire troop
Registration closes March 31, 2022 or When FIlled
Facebook: GS Cascade Challenge
More Info: Email: email@example.com