Hello Girl Scout Adult Volunteers!!
Cascade Challenge will be looking for about Fifty Fun Folks to be judges on
Saturday, May 20, 2023
We would like to invite you to judge Cascade Challenge 2023. Cascade Challenge weekend is a primitive, tent camping, outdoor skills competition weekend for Cadettes, Seniors, and Ambassadors of Girl Scouts Western Washington Council. This event is all volunteer run and is sponsored by SU 245 (Edmonds-Lynnwood).
Once again Challenge will be held at Fire Mountain Boy Scout Camp, Mt. Vernon. Cascade Challenge is put on by a village of adult Girl Scout Volunteers. You can be one of the much- needed, adult, volunteer judges. Whether you are volunteering for just Saturday or the whole weekend, we would appreciate you joining us as a volunteer. Judges may request which challenge station they prefer to be placed at. We try to match that choice as judges are at the same station all day with a team to judge the troops that will rotate through.
Girl Scout Troops arrive Friday afternoon to set up camp, relax, and maybe mingle with other troops around the campfire. All the challenge skill events will take place on Saturday, where girls will be evaluated on teamwork, leadership skills, and combined knowledge in the below skill areas. Challenges are completed without ‘help’ from leaders during the events.
The famous Saturday Night Dinner Challenge is a highlight as the leaders bow out of the campsite and the Scouts prepare the meal on their own. An added twist is that we provide the food to them and only the Cadette troops know what items they will receive in their food box at dinner time.
After dinner on Saturday night we all gather for a traditional campfire with songs, skits, and good old fun. The awards and recognition ceremony on Sunday bring the weekend to a close.
The FOUR Main events the troops will be competing in 2023 are:
- Team Dynamics
- Fire Building
- Plants, Knots and Shelters
- PLUS: Challenge Dinner– Prepare a creative & nutritious dinner. All judges participate in dinner judging.
Volunteer Arrival Options:
Whether you are coming for the whole weekend, or just on Saturday, we have time options that can fit your schedule!
- Early Birds needed: TBD
- Arrive Friday Night: Arrive Friday night after 4pm to enjoy a campfire, meet other judges and just experience the beauty of nature. Come to judge training Saturday morning (6:30 Am) and you are free to go any time after 8:00pm on Saturday -or- stay and watch closing ceremony on Sunday.
- Arrive Saturday: Come Saturday morning for judge training (arrive 6:30 AM). You’ll have the option to leave around 8pm or to stay overnight to watch closing ceremonies on Sunday.
- Dinner only Judges: If you’re too busy to judge events Saturday morning you have the option to just judge Dinner Challenge. Arrive at 3:30 PM and finish up at 9 PM.
What is included:
Training and answer sheets are provided for each event, PLUS you will be fed some incredible dishes (vegetarian options too), probably have a whole lot of fun, and of course receive a patch!! And you get to be out doors in the fresh air.
How to Sign-Up: Stay tuned!
Kat “Bodhi” Cole – Girl Scout volunteer – Cascadechallengejudges@gmail.com
Like us on Facebook: GS Cascade Challenge